Agile Poker Cloud
This part of the documentation relates to Agile Poker for Jira Cloud. If you use Jira Server go to the Agile Poker for Jira Server and Data Center documentation.
Interactive session integrates Planning Poker game into the Jira Cloud environment, facilitating discussion and results in estimations based on consensus in a convenient way.
Interactive session is a must-have Jira integrated estimation tool based on the Planning Poker game. It facilitates discussion and results in estimations based on consensus. Might be used by any team, whether you are a remote or colocated team; the main requirement to all team members is to participate in the session at the same time.
Any team member can join the session from a Board/Backlog view of a specific Jira project (checkout Navigation for Classic and Next-Gen projects article). Please note that each board has only one running Interactive session.
After starting the session, click of the cogwheel icon from top right to open the Configuration view:
Estimation values. Choose one of the commonly used sets of estimation values, like Fibonacci sequence, Modified Fibonacci, T-shirt sizes, SML (mini T-shirt sizes), or use any custom set your team prefers.
Although the estimation field must be numeric, you can display a string for voting values, just use the following format of a string equals a number: “Small=1”
Timer values. During the estimation session, a moderator might launch a timer to limit discussion or voting time. This is the place where timer options are configured.
Suggested Estimate. Select what suggested estimate you will see once all voles are done: Consensus, Average, or Average Integer.
Global settings tab:
Adjust analytics and error settings.
Team members can join an active session from the Agile Poker session selection page. Alternatively, you can share the session link with your team by copying it from the address bar, the bread crumbs section, or from the participants' management menu; click on Participants from the top right to open it. Participants button is also available as a top option at the beginning of each session before the estimation process is started:
Manage participants window:
Moderator. Choose a moderator to give him exclusive control over the Agile Poker session. Otherwise, everyone could control the session.
Voters. Pick the people that estimate with you. You can remove people that are currently disconnected from the estimation session. Agile Poker will automatically show voting results only after all voters select value for a user story.
Observers. Pick the people that participate in the session with you, but who don't need to vote. Might be rookies, people outside the team, scrum masters or project managers that don't do estimations, etc.
Share by link.
The status of each participant is displayed in the participants' area:
- standard avatar means the participant is connected to the session;
- dimed out avatar means that the participant has been disconnected;
- present eye icon meant that the participant has observer status, if absent - voter status.
- crown above the avatar indicates the session moderator role; if it's absent than all-moderators mode is on.
Every participant can easily change Observer/Voter status using the eye icon next to the Participants:
Navigation tips. Every new user is prompt to go through navigation tips, that are also available from the session navigation menu. Click Session → Take a tour to open it:
- Start estimating. Once the session is active, use the 'Estimate first issue' button to start estimating the first item from the backlog view below, or simply click on the item:
- Estimation status. At every stage of the estimation session status at the top will help with understanding what is expected from a participant. The status depends on the participant type and role:
- Backlog view. Here is the preview of your backlog. Actions that can be performed:
observe the type of Jira issue, its name, ID, and current estimation value;
filter the issues for a particular session; click on the edit icon next to “Picked issue” and “JQL query” to modify them;
select a user story for estimation by clicking on the story;
- open a user story in a separate tab by clicking in the issue key;
hide/unhide backlog list;
check out which issue is under the estimation (marked with “Estimating” indicator), or review (marked with “Reviewing” indicator);
pick an issue to see the details on the left, might differ from estimating issue;
observe total Story Points value of a sprint, or filtered part of the backlog next to the “Estimate”;
Reload issue list if necessary:
- Active issue. Here, you can see the issue selected for estimation. Everyone in this poker session can see the same issue here.
- Issue details. Appear on the right-hand side after clicking on the issue under the estimation or review from the Backlog, includes default and all text custom fields. Almost all the fields are editable:
- Participants. Check your team members participating in the estimation. Moderator has a crown icon on the avatar. Inactive participants' avatars are greyed-out. Once all the estimates are submitted or the moderator clicks on 'Show estimates' button, chosen values are shown next to the team members' avatars and the discussion phase starts.
Clicking on the Eye icon switches you to the Observer mode - you participate in the session but without the need for voting. Observers have eye icon indicators next to their avatars. In order to switch back to Voting mode, use Cards icon next to the Participants title or Here:
Once all the estimates are submitted or the moderator clicks on the 'Show estimates' button, chosen values are shown next to the team members' avatars and the discussion phase starts:
- Voting area.
“Your estimation for Story Points” part stands for displaying estimation values set for this session. You can easily switch between dropdown and card view by clicking on the view button:
For the dropdown view, the “Triangulation” panel is available. It dynamically shows resolved issues with the same estimation value as the selected (hovered) one for easing the selection process. Issues for triangulation are picked up from the same project with priority for the lately closed issues of the same type and with the same components.
Below there is 'Reference issues' panel - 3 static pre-selected issues for default references:
“Final estimation for Story Points” replaces “Your estimation for Story Points” once all the participants have voted or the moderator clicked on the 'Show estimates' button, indicating a new estimation phase - final estimation. Knowing all the team estimation votes from the Participants section, the discussion starts. Below, you can find examples of moderator and participant views:
Once the discussion is done, the final estimation is selected and approved by clicking on Save or Save & next on the moderator’s side. The reset option here restarts the voting process for the issue under the estimation. That’s it for this issue!
Timer. A moderator can launch a timer to limit discussion or voting time. Timer options might be configured in session configuration.
Leaving and finishing the session
When a team member steps out of the estimation process, he should use the Leave session option from the Session menu. In this case, the member is removed from the Participants list, his avatar is gone from the participants area. This colleague can easily re-join the session afterward.
- In the case of closing the tab, the user stays in the participant list and affects the estimation process: Final estimation process will not be automatically launched upon submitting all other votes.
- If a person left the session, she or he can be removed from the Participants menu.
- In case all issues have been estimated, a moderator can finish the session for all participants by using the Finish session option:
This page has no comments.