This tutorial will show you how quickly start using Canned Responses for Jira add-on.
Table of contents:
You can find Canned Responses section on any issue view.
- A dropdown for selecting and inserting templates
- Quick toolbar with starred templates – for one-click inserting
- Options to create new template (with "plus" icon)
- Editor box that allows you to compose either a new comment or edit issue description
Why is there a separate Canned Responses section?
It is a limitation of Jira itself - it allows apps to occupy only certain locations within the interface.
To overcome this, and to have Canned Responses available directly from native Jira comment box – please use the companion browser extension.
Canned Responses need cookies
Make sure to allow all cookies in your browser settings - they are required for Canned Responses section to be displayed in your Jira.
Use the the button with "plus" icon to create a new template
You can also create and manage templates by clicking "Canned Responses" in your project menu
Please note that you can:
- nest templates in folders with by using double colons in the name
- for example, to put "Deleting account" template in "Instructions" folder, name the template "Instructions::Deleting account" – it will be nested accordingly
- use the star button to add the template to quick toolbar – so it can be inserted with just a single click
- set visibility scope, so that the template is visible for particular groups, in selected projects etc.
- add macros to your template content – they are special keywords which will be dynamically replaced with proper data when the template is used
- add automated actions that should be run after using the template - you can trigger transitions, set field values, trigger Jira Automation and more
Templates can be inserted with:
a) Search and insert - click to open a dropdown, search by typing and select the template. You can also use Shift+Tab (from editor), navigate with arrows and select with Enter.
b) Quick toolbar - select a previously starred template to add it with just a single click
To see a list of templates, where you can see, create, edit and remove templates – open "Canned Responses" from your Jira project menu. Use filters to refine your view.