This tutorial will show you how quickly start using Canned Responses for Jira add-on.
Table of contents:
You can find Canned Responses section on any issue view.
- Starred templates toolbar – for one-click inserting
- Options to create new (with "plus" icon) and manage (with "cog" icon) templates
- Comment box - which, when clicked will allow you to compose comments
Why is there a separate Canned Responses section?
It is a limitation of Jira itself - it allows apps to occupy only certain locations within the interface.
To overcome this, and to have Canned Responses available directly from native Jira comment box – please use the companion browser extension.
Canned Responses need cookies
Make sure to allow all cookies in your browser settings - they are required for Canned Responses section to be displayed in your Jira.
1. Use the create new button (with "plus" icon) to add a new canned response (template).
You can also do it through "Manage templates" dialog (accessible with "cog" icon).
Please note that you can:
- nest templates in folders with by using double colons in the name
- for example, to put "Deleting account" template in "Instructions" folder, name the template "Instructions::Deleting account" – it will be nested accordingly
- use the star button to add the template to the starred toolbar – so it can be inserted with one-click
- set visibility scope, so that the template is visible for particular groups, in selected projects etc.
- add macros to your template – they are special keywords which will be dynamically replaced with proper data when the template is used
Templates can be inserted with:
a) Search and insert - open a dropdown and either search for by typing or select template from the list
The search field can be accessed from within the comment box with Shift+Tab shortcut. You can navigate the results with arrow keys and insert with Enter.
b) Templates toolbar - select a previously starred template to add it with one click
You can also define a template to be inserted by default in Project Settings.
The "Manage" button (with "cog" icon) will take you to a list of your templates, where you can see, create, edit and remove templates.
- You can use filters to refine your view
- You can also access Settings from this screen