- A session moderator selects issues to estimate and people that participate in the session.
- The moderator invites participants: either via sharing the session link , or through Jira's email invitations with the link to the session.
- Participants estimate issues in the scope of the estimation session whenever they find it convenient.
- The moderator closes the session and reviews personal comments and estimates.
- Session moderator saves final estimates for issues in scope based on the estimation result.
- opening the "Agile Poker" dropdown and clicking link "Manage sessions", or
- clicking the Agile Poker Enterprise logo on the Jira project sidebar .where it says Estimates
Creating an Asynchronous session
- From the All sessions dashboard view, click "Create session" button.
Alternatively, use Agile Poker dropdown and New session option from the backlog view.
On On the Jira Software backlog view, open the "Agile Poker" dropdown and click "+ New session".
Alternatively, select "Estimates" in the board navigation menu on the left and click on "+ Create session"
- In the "Create new session" popup choose "Asynchronous session" and click "Next":
- Choose Select the issues you want to estimate (session scope) and click "Next" .again
Define Before starting a session you should define the session name, participants, and the email invitation message.
For each session, you can also choose the field you want to save estimates into, estimate values you want to use, and fields to display inside the session to help your team estimate.
Then click the "Create" button to start your session.
- On the All sessions dashboard screen, click the "Estimate" button to go to the session.
Alternatively, select the your session from the Agile Poker dropdown from the Jira backlog view:
- Select the first issue from the list on the left, provide an estimate, and (optionally) type a comment.
Then click the "Save & next" button and to repeat this process for all other issues.
Using the estimation layout toggle you can switch between Cards and Dropdown layouts.
Note that the Dropdown layout supports Triangulation and Reference issues to help with the estimation process.
- Once you estimate all the issues, you can simply leave the session page.
Every session participant can see the overview of how many issues other participants have estimated in the top-right corner of the session screen.
Hover over the user avatar shows the number of issues estimated by them. The
The green tick will show up next to the users who estimated all the issues in the estimation session.
The session moderator can preview partial estimates even if the session is open. To do this go to the All sessions dashboard, open the "more" dropdown for the estimation session you are interested in and click "Review partial results".
On the loaded screen, pick an issue to see the partial results in the "Estimation results" section.
Once everybody provides their estimates, the moderator can close the session.
Participants can no longer estimate issues in closed sessions but they can review the results instead.
The session moderator can close the session in two ways:
- From the All sessions dashboard view using the "Close" button:
- From the estimation view using the "Close session" button in the top-right corner of the screen:
When the session has been closed all participants can review the results. Moreover, the session moderator can save the final issue estimate directly from the results screen. To
To see estimation results:
- On the All sessions dashboard, click the "Review results" button.
- Pick an issue from the list on the left. You will see the "Final estimate for..." panel.
Based on the user estimates and comments, enter the final issue estimate and click "Save & next" button.
The final estimate value will be saved into the issue field selected during the session screen creation process (in this example - : "Story point" field).
- Once you save the final estimate for all issues, simply leave the session results page.
While reviewing the results, the session moderator may decide that for some issues another estimation round is needed. In such a case, click on the "Restart session" link on the results screen. The
The "Restart session" dialog is very similar to the "Create session" dialog.
Choose issues to be re-estimated and update the list of session participants if needed.
Once you restart the session Jira can send e-mail invitations to all participants and estimation will proceed as usual.