Any team member can join or create the session from a Board/Backlog view of a specific Jira project (checkout Navigation for Classic and Next-Gen projects article). You may create and run multiple Interactive sessions in parallel.
Session The session is created by following a 2-steps wizard (check screenshots below) where you are asked to provide:
- Session name
- Session type: public or private, see Public vs. Private sessions for the details
Estimation values: choose one of the commonly used sets of estimation values, like Fibonacci sequence, Modified Fibonacci, T-shirt sizes, SML (mini T-shirt sizes), or use any custom set your team prefers.
Although the estimation field must be numeric, you can display a string for voting values, just use the following format of a string equals a number: “Small=1”
Timer values: during the estimation session, a moderator might launch a timer to limit discussion or voting time. This is the place where timer options are configured.
Suggested estimate: Select what suggested estimate you will see once all voles are done: Consensus, Average, or Average Integer
- Session participants (more details provided below)
Additionally, you can use "Save this configuration as my personal default" option during session creation to remember current settings and participants list for future sessions. Note that the default configurations are saved per user per board, meaning that for another board's sessions you will have separate default settings. Another peculiarity of this feature is that it is shared between all of the session types. For example, participants list saved during Interactive session creation will be pre-populated when you create a session of any other type.
For private sessions, the session creator is suggested and pre-populated as moderator.
Team members can join an active session from the Agile Poker session selection page or all sessions page. Alternatively, you can share the session link with your team by copying it from the address bar, the bread crumbs section, or from the participants' management menu; click on Participants from the top right to open it. Participants button is also available as a top option at the beginning of each session before the estimation process is started:
Remember that private sessions can be only accessed by Jira users added to the participants list. Other users will get an error message when trying to access a private session.
Manage participants window:
Moderator. Choose a moderator to give them exclusive control over the Agile Poker session. Otherwise, everyone could control the session.
After starting the session, click on the cogwheel icon located in the top right corner to open the Configuration view:
The configuration view:
Global settings tab:
Adjust analytics and error settings.
From the breadcrumbs, you can easily navigate to the corresponding board or to Agile Poker board page, check the session type and visibility settings (the lock means the session is private), copy the session link:
Navigation tips. Every new user is prompt to go through navigation tips, that are also available from the session navigation menu. Click Session → Take a tour to open it:
- Start estimating. Once the session is active, use the 'Estimate first issue' button to start estimating the first item from the backlog view below, or simply click on the item:
- an issue.
- Estimation status. At every stage of the estimation session status at the top will help with understanding what is expected from a participant. The status depends on the participant type and role:
- Backlog view. Here is the preview of your backlog. Actions that can be performed:
observe the type of Jira issue, its name, ID, and current estimation value;
- the moderator can manage the visibility of several extra fields in the backlog view, like epics, versions, assignee, and priority:
filter the issues for a particular session; click on the edit icon next to “Picked issue” and “JQL query” to modify them;
select a user story for estimation by clicking on the story;
- open a user story issue details in a separate tab dialog window for viewing or editing by clicking in on the issue key;
hide/unhide backlog list;
check out which issue is under the estimation (marked with “Estimating” indicator), or review (marked with “Reviewing” indicator);
pick an issue to see the details on the left, might differ from estimating issue;
observe total Story Points value of a sprint, or filtered part of the backlog next to the “Estimate”;
reload issue list if necessary:
- Active issue. Here, you can see the issue selected for estimation. Everyone in this poker session will see the same issue here.
- Issue Quick issue details. View only (use Edit issues for editing). Appear on the right-hand side after clicking on the issue under the estimation or review from the Backlog, includes default and all text custom fields. Almost all fields are editable:
- a set of standard issue fields:
- Edit issue/Full issue details. The option for viewing full issue details and editing any issue field. Use Edit button from issue details for the selected issue or click on any issue key from the backlog view for issue details of a specific issue:
All of the standard Jira's issue options are available here without a need of opening the issue in a separate tab:
- Participants. Check your team members participating in the estimation. Moderator has a crown icon on the avatar. Inactive participants' avatars are greyed-out. Once all the estimates are submitted or the moderator clicks on 'Show estimates' button, chosen values are shown next to the team members' avatars and the discussion phase starts.
For the dropdown view, the “Triangulation” panel is available. It dynamically shows resolved issues with the same estimation value as the selected (hovered) one for easing the selection process. Issues for triangulation are picked up from the same project with priority for the lately closed issues of the same type and with the same components.
Below there is the 'Reference issues' panel - 3 static pre-selected issues for default references:
When a team member steps out of the estimation process, he/she should use the Leave session option from the Session menu. In this case, the member is removed from the Participants list, his/her avatar is gone from the participants area. This colleague The participant can re-join the session afterwards afterward if it's a public one. But for the private session, they should be re-invited.
- In the case of closing the tab, the user stays in the participant list and affects the estimation process: Final estimation process will not be automatically launched upon every estimator submits an estimate.
- If a person left the session, she or he can be removed from the Participants menu.
- In case all issues have been estimated, a moderator can finish the session for all participants by using the Finish session option:
Check out other estimation sessions offered by Agile Poker for Cloud:
Please let us know if this article was helpful, your feedback is appreciated: firstname.lastname@example.org